Animal Cruelty Prevention Month

Happy Saturday night, Missians!

I hope all of you enjoyed today's show topic.  It wasn't one of our lighter shows, but nonetheless, one that was necessary.  Once again, let me say that we are not condemning all circuses, zoos, aquariums, dog and horse tracks, etc.  Some of these enterprises may treat the animals in their care well; but it's equally likely, that many do not.  For that reason alone, I don't feel it's worth the risk to any animals' well being to have such enterprises solely for the sake of entertaining humans.  We already have a myriad of things to keep us occupied such as movies, music, books, the Internet, plays, video games, etc.  We don't need to have animals performing tricks that are unnatural to them because humans think it's "neat" to see a tiger jump through a ring of fire or see a bear riding a bike.

We've posted links on our Facebook page discussing many of the negatives regarding animals used in entertainment.  Of course we don't have the sides of the animal trainers and handlers in these businesses--so the whole picture hasn't been depicted.  Perhaps that could be a possible topic for another episode.  At the end of the day, you have to decide for yourself.  I've personally been guilty of going to a dog track with a family member when I was younger, and have been to a zoo twice and an aquarium once.  Back then, I didn't think much about the welfare of the animals, how they fared in such environments, or what happened to them behind the scenes.  Now that I've done more research on the topic, I don't think I can support such places anymore, (definitely NOT the dog racing).  It just makes me feel uneasy that I might be supporting animal mistreatment, (whether that's the reality or not).  We're not here to change your mind--just to make you think.  So what do you think?

I also wanted to mention that April is Animal Cruelty Prevention Month!  Wear something orange this week in support of our animal friends.  Let's put an end to animal cruelty once and for all!

That's all for now!

This is your host J,
signing off.....................................................

Comments