To Bobbie, The Tabby Cat, With Love (Rest in Peace)

Happy Tortie Tuesday, Missians!

If any of you read some of my tweets on Saturday, then you've already heard the sad news about my mom's 20 year old Tabby cat, Bobbie.  For those of you who don't know, Bobbie passed away peacefully in her sleep sometime on Friday night or early Saturday morning.  My mom discovered her lying on the floor around 8am Saturday morning.  Because Bobbie was already up in age, she slept a lot anyway, so my mom wasn't sure if she was just sleeping at first. 

My mom knew that something was wrong, when she called Bobbie's name several times and she wouldn't raise her head.  She'd always responded to her name.  My mother then went over and touched her, and then knew for sure that she had passed on.  My mom had raised Bobbie since she was just a small kitten.  Bobbie was born blind and had somehow gotten separated from her mother or either had been abandoned by someone.  My sister was only 9 or 10 when she found Bobbie.  Bobbie wasn't in very good shape, but my mother nursed her back to health and kept her for the next 20 years.

We all loved Bobbie.  I will always have fond memories of her.  She was always a good, mild tempered cat for the most part, (with the exception of scratching a few kids in the family who tried to handle her too roughly).  I smile when I think about the two sets of furniture my mom had, that became Bobbie's scratching posts, and how she would love to run into my room the minute I would open my door, when I still lived at home.  She would always jump onto my bed and sink her claws into my comforter, so I couldn't put her out.

One of my favorite funny memories of Bobbie is the time my then 13 year old sister told my mom that she saw some type of large bug go into the heating unit that was made into our hallway wall.  Bobbie was sitting in front of the unit keeping warm, when my mom had a major lapse in judgment and decided to spray some bug spray into the unit to kill the alleged insect my sister had seen.  All I remember was hearing a swoosh sound and then hearing my mom yell out. 

By the time, I made it to the scene, Bobbie's whiskers and eyebrows were a little melted and curled up on the ends.  My mom was scared to death, and extremely remorseful.  Luckily, Bobbie was okay, (we had to clip off the melted ends of her whiskers, but they grew back fine--her eyebrows weren't so bad, and grew back normally without any clipping).  I know.  I know.  That could have gone a lot worse than it did, but it was one of those times, where once we knew Bobbie was okay we were able to laugh about it, (at my mom and sister's expense), for years to come.  More than anything, I think poor Bobbie was just confused.

So this entry is dedicated to Bobbie, we love and miss you, but we know you are in a better place.  You're now with Boomer, Practical, Percy, Grady, and Blackie at Rainbow Bridge.  Thank you for the love and joy you brought to our family.  We will see you again someday.

Bobbie (also known as Bopper), taking a nap.

 

Comments