Self-Righteous Bastards: Animal Consumption Around the World

Happy Fursday, Missians!

Thanks for joining us on this Fabulous Fursday evening, as we explore another interesting animal topic.  Before I start, I need to explain the title of this post.  First off, it probably wasn't necessary to use the "bastard" part, but since I've always loved the movie title "Inglorious Bastards," I just decided to attach that moniker to the self-righteous group I'll be discussing today; and just who are the self-righteous bastards, that I speak of? Why, its those of us who subscribe to modern day Western culture.  And why am I calling "us" by this less than beloved moniker?  Because when it comes to eating animals, we tend to justify the consumption of those animals we consider "normal" to eat, and are judgmental regarding what we deem strange or barbaric animal consumption, outside of Western culture. 

For example, we consider cultures that eat cats and dogs to be engaging in horrendous behavior, because many people within western culture, consider cats and dogs as pets.  Yet, we have no problem with the slaughter of cows, (even though most people in India wouldn't dream of eating ground beef).  Who are we to say that some animals are more valuable or important than others?  We want to save cats and dogs; but are okay with pigs, cows, and chickens being thrown on the grill. 

Don't get me wrong, I adore cats, and there's no way in hell I would ever eat one, but are dogs and cats inherently more valuable than a cow or pig?  Who made that judgement call?  Cows, pigs, and chickens are intelligent creatures, just as much as dogs and cats--and can even be pets!  But through tradition, we still see it as okay to kill them for our consumption.  And though we in American culture, consider eating dogs, cats, rats, maggots, guinea pigs, and spiders, gross and despicable, there are other countries that see this as being a totally normal, (and tasty) practice.

http://listverse.com/2010/11/11/10-animals-you-wouldnt-believe-people-eat/

http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-animals-eaten-in-other-countries.php

There are even countries where people eat gorillas, camels, and elephants.  Though none of that sounds appetizing at all to me, is it my place to tell the people of these cultures that they have less of a right to eat these animals than I do to eat pork, beef, or chicken?  No, it isn't.  Most animal rights organizations would say nobody should be eating any kinds of animals; but most people who've grown up eating meat, are going to feel comfortable eating the animals that were culturally acceptable for them to eat, depending on traditions and the geographic areas they were reared in.  So, who are we as "westerners" to say that the only animals that should be eaten are the ones that we find desirable or acceptable?  To die-hard animal rights groups, all people who consume animal flesh are wrong--not just those who eat the animals westerners consider as pets, or think are disgusting.

Now I'm not just here to beat up Americans, and other similar cultures. Any culture can become self-righteous in this arena.  Some cultures, (even among westerners) think that eating pork is an unclean practice, and it's looked down upon.  Then there are those cultures who wouldn't eat beef under any circumstances.  I think the main take away here is, if you're going to consume meat, be considerate in your judgement of the practices of other countries or cultures.  All animals are God's creation; so, if you consider it okay to eat one kind of animal, don't be self-righteous about someone else's choice to eat ones that you find abhorrent.

And just to be clear, there are plenty of animals that I would find utterly disgusting and distasteful to eat, (and never would), but the point to consider is, that just because I won't eat those types of animals, doesn't make it wrong for others to eat them.  The whole point is to be considerate of others' points of view.  One kind of meat-eater is no better than another, (of course, I'm not talking about cannibals, nor am I talking about going around killing endangered animals or swiping people's pets out of their yards for food). 

Now the question of whether anyone should or shouldn't eat meat, is not one that I'll tackle in this post.  I've gone for about two weeks now without eating any, but in no way am I saying that I'm permanently going to be a vegetarian.  It's just something I'm trying, for health reasons-for now.  But can I guarantee that on Memorial Day, I won't be partaking in any grilled burgers or hotdogs?  Can't make that promise.  So, as far as the ethical dilemma, of whether you should or shouldn't, I'll leave  up to you, my dear reader, to decide for yourself.

That's all for now,

This is your host J,
signing off...

Is eating this guy morally, better than eating a dog?

Comments