Allergy Breakouts and Show Cancellations

Happy Sunday, guys!

Sorry about having to cancel yesterday's show.  Unfortunately, I woke up to being broke out in a rash and having throat issues.  So, as much as I didn't want to, I had to high tail it over to a doctor, to make sure nothing serious was going on.  Luckily for me, he didn't seem to think it was anything too bad, but really didn't have a definitive explanation for what had caused my mishap; but he did prescribe me something--so, I was glad of that, (and that he didn't tell me I was about to die). 

Despite the good news I received, I still felt pretty crappy by the time I got home, (had a headache that wouldn't quit, and some body aches); so I knew doing the show, likely wasn't gonna happen.  Plus, after I thought about it, this particular pet holiday, though interesting, probably didn't have enough subject matter to hold a whole episode by itself--even though I intended to supplement it with some sneak-peak info regarding Pet Spooktacular.  But that's okay.  The "show" shall go on in a different form:  blog form.

Today's topic is about Checkers:  The First Dog in Politics.  This topic came to me based on the Pet Holiday, "Dogs in Politics Day," that is celebrated every September 23rd--which is today!  I thought it sounded like such a strange holiday, so I had to look it up and see what it about, (for the record:  there are a lot of other, way stranger pet and animal holidays out there).

Turns out this holiday came about because of a speech given by then vice-presidential candidate Richard Nixon, (who of course, later went on to be one of our presidents).  Here is the origin of "Dogs in Politics Day" also known as "Checkers Day" via Holiday Insights:

Origin of Checkers Day:
In 1952, Richard M. Nixon was a candidate for Vice-President of the United States, running with Dwight D. Eisenhower.  Media speculation centered around an $18,000 campaign contribution, and speculation that Nixon may have used some for his personal use.  In a brilliant political maneuver, Nixon took his case to the American people.
On September 23, 1952, Richard Nixon gave a speech that directly addressed and explained the issue. He assured the public that he did not use any of the funds for personal use. Towards the end of the speech, he stated that his daughters had received a dog, which they named "Checkers", as a gift. He said they would keep the dog.
This speech quickly became known as the "Checkers" speech, and went on to be one of the better speeches in American political history. 
With "Checkers" the dog included in the speech, this day was sometimes referred to as Dogs in Politics Day.

Checkers Day and Dogs in Politics:
http://www.holidayinsights.com/moreholidays/September/checkersday.htm

So, essentially, Checkers saved the day, allowing Nixon to stay on the ticket, by endearing him in the hearts of the American public, (Nixon and Eisenhower later went on to win their campaign).  Read more at Presidential Pet Museum.com:  

Checkers: The Best Known Presidential Dog to Never Have Lived in the White House:
http://www.presidentialpetmuseum.com/blog/richard-nixon-checkers/

Needless to say, I'd never heard of this holiday prior to a couple of years ago, when D and I first discovered HolidaysandObservances.com, which is when we got hip to all the different pet and animal holidays; but even then, I don't think that I'd taken the time to look this particular one up.  But I like it.  It's a cute, simple holiday.  So, though Checker has been long gone, here's to you, buddy!  What a cute little cocker spaniel, he was!

Photo courtesy of The Richard Nixon Foundation



Okay:  here's what's next.  We're going to have two blog posts next week to close out September.  One will be on Friday, and the other on Saturday.  There'll be no more episodes, until October 6th, which will be our October Pet Spooktacular kick-off episode for 2018, "The Transylvania Connection: Werewolves, Vlad, and Other Scary Legends.  But our Pet Spooktacular blog posts will begin, Tuesday, October 2nd.  Just like in September, we'll have two posts the first week, one the second week, one the third week, and two again, the last week of October.  The Pet Spooktacular episodes will air every Saturday in October, hosted by myself and D.

Well, that's it for now.  See you guys back here on Friday for our next post.  Thanks again for all your support and patience!  Much love!  

Until Friday,

This is your host J,
signing off...



Photo courtesy of The Richard Nixon Foundation






Comments