Pet Spooktacular: Big Black Dog

Happy Monday, Missians!

Thanks for checking out another October Pet Spooktacular edition of Missy's Blog.  This is our second post in our series of spooky animal stories for the month.  Once again, all of our stories, (except one) will be courtesy of yourghoststories.com.  Today's story is entitled, "Big Black Dog."


Big Black Dog

 

When I was around 15 or 16 years old, I was alone at home because my family had gone to a party. My mom was very hesitant to let me stay by myself because they were going to be out pretty late. I remember pleading with her and telling her I needed to get some homework done and I didn't feel well to be out at a party. She finally agreed to let me stay on the condition that I stay inside, didn't answer the door for anyone and if anyone were to call on the phone I didn't tell them I was home alone. I agreed to all, so my parents and siblings left around 6:00pm with the promise to return at midnight. I was ecstatic to have the house all to myself, I had the music on full-blast, made a mess in the kitchen and stayed on the phone with my best friend.

Next door to my friend lived one of the popular kids from school who had friends over and they were hanging out with skateboards. My friend was looking out the window while she was on the phone with me telling me what they were doing. She kept insisting I come over, she only lived a couple of blocks from me. I made the bad decision to go over to her house, I told myself that I was going to pretend to just drop something off to her and maybe just say for 10 minutes and then run back home. It was early enough, I could do this... Well, I got to her house and when she saw me approaching she snuck out and we stayed talking for a few minutes. Of course the guys saw us and told us to come over to hang with them. I remember the flirting, the giggling and trying to ride on their skateboards, I was having the time of my life. One of the neighbors came out and told us to be quiet, we were making a lot of noise and it was late. That's when it suddenly hit me, I was in so much trouble! I told everyone I had to go and took off running like crazy.



All the way over to my house I was praying that my dad's car wasn't parked in the driveway. I remember running and mumbling "please, please, please don't let them be there", and then when I was close and didn't see a car I changed to "thank you, thank you, thank you". Well, my happiness was short lived, blocking my way to get into my yard was a HUGE black dog.

I use to be afraid of dogs, I never had one as a pet growing up, it also didn't help that this dog was huge, looked pissed-off and was growling at me. I crossed the street and kept walking thinking that I could go around him but it was as if he knew my intentions and his were to not let me pass. I stood there for a long while trying to think of a plan but in every one of them I ended up being mauled by this giant dog. Then I would think about how my parents were coming and what would happen to me for disobeying and I wasn't sure what was worse! I finally went with being mauled to death and decided to go for it. I crossed the street with my head down and my fingers in my ears, I was shaking so bad. I never lifted my head but I knew I was at the door of the gate, I opened it and walked in the yard. I knew I wasn't safe yet because the fence was not that high and somehow I knew the dog would have no trouble jumping over it. I kept walking with chills running up and down my spine and finally got to the front door.



I made it inside the house intact, shut the door, and immediately went to the window to look out and see what the dog was doing. I didn't see the dog and was on my tip toes trying to look over the fence, that's when I noticed the headlights of my dad's car pulling in the driveway. My nosy sister noticed me and ratted me out to my parents. Of course they asked what I was doing looking out the window so I told them that I had heard a dog barking and had seen a big black dog out there. They told me they didn't see anything and that it was probably a lost or stray because our neighbors didn't have any big dogs. The dog would have had to go inside a neighbor's yard because we lived on a dead end street and my family didn't see it anywhere on the street when they arrived.

That night was the first and last time I saw that dog and maybe it wasn't anything paranormal but I sure learned my lesson. This is one of the stories that I've never told my family because I know I did something I wasn't supposed to and even now as an adult I know I would still be scolded by my mother.

Let me know what your thoughts are, paranormal or just a lost dog? By the way, I'm 5'7 and this dog would probably be as high as my waist (standing on all fours).


My take-away...

Okay, here's the deal...

On this one, I'm not sold that the dog she saw was really something supernatural.  In this case, it very well may have just been a regular dog.  She didn't say she got any spooky vibes from the canine, per se--just that she was afraid that it would attack her. She only said it was a HUGE black dog blocking her from getting into her yard.  About the only thing that might've seemed a little off was just how quickly the dog disappeared.  

Now I'm not saying that it wasn't a spectral dog.  It could've very well been something supernatural.  I'm not here to say it wasn't, but I'm not here to say it was either.  Based on the way the story reads, I'd say that one is a toss up.  It could've been some ghostly, dog ghost out there to serve her a lesson for sneaking out, or it could've simply been a stray dog that was nonetheless too friendly.  

What do you think?  Did she run across and apparition dog, or was it just an everyday, typical stray?





Comments