Why My Cat Should Accompany Me To Gas Stations

Good morning, Missians!

You don't have to say it.  I already know.  What an odd title for a blog post.  But give me a second to explain.  I was at the gas station getting gas this morning, and had an interesting fellow pull up to the pump next to mine and start pumping his own gas.  He then proceeds to start making awkward conversation with me.  Granted, I have no problem speaking to someone if I make eye contact with  them, but I wasn't even looking at this guy.  I was more in a mode of, 'let me pump this gas and get the heck out of here'. 

I'd seen this man before at the same gas station and also found that encounter to be awkward as well. At that time, he went out of his way to shout hello to me as I was emerging from the station with some carbonated refreshments.  It was odd because he went about it in such a way as though he knew me.  So that was the conclusion I made--I figured, obviously he's just mistaken and thinks he knows me.  But then came this morning.................This time, I couldn't blame it on him thinking that he knew me.  He was just starting a conversation--just because.  But just because of what?  Because he's friendly?  Or because he was trying to pick me up?  Let me also add that he was definitely old enough to be my dad.  So here is where my cat Missy would have come in handy. 

Missy doesn't care for strangers (this has been said many times before);  nor will she hesitate to give a hiss or growl when she deems it appropriate (which is most times).  So I think having her sprawled out on the back of my trunk as I pumped my gas, would have made the situation enormously more comfortable for me.  The moment the poor guy would have opened his mouth, Missy would have given him the hiss like the cat from 'Pet Sematary' does, and the man would have instinctively known not to mess with me for fear of imminent attack.  But alas, there was no Missy, so I had to go it alone. 

Thankfully, I didn't get a sleazy type vibe from the guy, (I was just glad when my gas was pumped, and I was on my way).  Maybe he's just really outgoing and friendly in a way that my introverted brain can't process.  I will just say that having Missy with me in situations like that, would be super nice; though she'd likely freak out and run off somewhere, and then I'd have to try to catch her and hope she didn't run out into traffic.  Well, it was a nice idea in theory.

Have a whiskery Wednesday, people!!!

This is your host J, signing off.

Comments