To All The Cats I've Loved Before



Happy Fursday, Missians!

Thanks for joining me for another edition of Missy's Blog--the official blog of The Missy Show.  I've missed you guys.  I hated we didn't get to do the show last week, but as you all know, D wasn't feeling well, so we had to reschedule.  But have no fear--"The Secret Life of Plants and How They Affect Your Pets", will air this Saturday at 5pm Central.  Be sure to join us.

Okay today I wanted to do a different type of Featured Pet of the Week post.  Not to be all sad or anything, but you all know that we lost my niece's cat, Babar just two short weeks ago today, and May is the month that my mom lost her 20 year old Tabby Cat, Bobbie, (AKA Bopper).  Even though Bobbie's Rainbow Bridge date isn't until May 23rd, I felt like doing a little upbeat tribute for her today--so today's Featured Pet is Bobbie.  I've done a blog post about Bobbie before in the past, but since she was on my mind, so I decided to honor her today by revisiting some of her shining moments.  Enjoy!

Bobbie came into our lives in October, 1995, (which technically made her a little over 19 1/2 when she died--but she was so close, we just round it up). My then, 10 year old sister found her abandoned in a box, (her mom and siblings, nowhere in sight).  Bobbie appeared to be roughly about a month old.  Bobbie was already blind at the time my sister found her.  Even though my sister swore she would take care of Bobbie if she was allowed to her, Bobbie ended up being my mom's cat. 

This isn't Bobbie, but she looked very similar to this as a kitten.


My mom quickly went to work nursing Bobbie back to health--giving her food and creating a cozy shoebox bed for her.  Other than being slightly underweight and blind, Bobbie was in relatively good health.  In Bobbie's younger years, she used to enjoy running into my bedroom anytime I opened my door.  Bobbie would then proceed to jump on my bed and sink her claws into my comforter in case I'd had plans to evict her.  I usually just let her stay and carried on with doing my college homework or whatever other activity I had been doing at the time.  Keep in mind this was over a decade before I got Missy, (and I was much younger), so I didn't have the same strong "pet mothering" instinct that I later developed. 

Bobbie was a part of our family.  She was an indoor cat, so she was always front seat and center for every special moment in our lives.  She loved birthday parties and holidays, sitting anxiously near our feet, waiting for someone to drop a morsel of food, so she could quickly nibble it up.  She adored potato chips and whenever my then boyfriend (now husband), would buy me roses, she would jump on the table or counter so she could chomp on the petals, (once again, keep in mind I didn't have a pet radio show back then, so we weren't as conscious about what animals should and shouldn't eat--although if rose petals were toxic, Bobbie should have been a goner long ago). 

We each had a turn in being scratched by Bobbie on multiple occasions.  She wasn't a mean cat, but as with most felines, she didn't want her back legs touched, (ever), and there were certain times she did not want to be picked up.  Certain children in the family found this out the hard way.  My mom found out the hard way, not to buy Bobbie the Ocean Whitefish flavor of a particular cheap brand of cat food.  Let's just say cat diarrhea is no fun.  And of course there was the time, I wrote about before, where my mom singed Bobbie's eyebrows and whiskers when she foolishly sprayed bug spray into our wall unit heater to kill some imaginary bug my younger sister swears she saw. 

Mental note to self:  Never spray bug spray into a wall unit heater that's on--and especially don't do it when your cat is pretty close to said heater--and your youngest daughter is an idiot, (sorry sis).  As I said the last time I wrote about this, we were able to laugh about it only because Bobbie was okay.  The ends of her whiskers were shriveled up and crinkly for awhile, but other than that--and the bit of a scare she suffered--she was fine. 

Bobbie lived through my moving out and getting married, my sister's eventual moving out, the birth of my niece, and my grandmother's and step dad's deaths.  She lived through a few presidents and changes in technology.  Bobbie lived to see a lot.  But most of all, Bobbie always had the special love of my mom.  She loved Bobbie immensely and was dedicated to giving her the best quality life she could, (except for the whole heater incident--she felt super awful, though). 

So this goes out to you too, Mom.  I want you to share in this dedication to our old family pet and friend, Bobbie.  I know she's waiting for you at Rainbow Bridge with her eyebrows and whiskers intact--and most of all with new eyes.  Mr. Boomer, (D's dog), greeted her and Babar when each of them arrived at the "Furry Gates", and they're all having a fur-tastic grand time. 

Bobbie slept a lot in her later years.

Bobbie loved sleeping near or on top of piles of shoes


We love and miss you Bobbie!  Thank you guys for reading.

Be sure to join us tomorrow for another Pet Trivia Post!

Until then,

This is your host J,
signing off.......................................

Comments